Heng Yang, Jingnan Shi and Luca Carlone, TEASER: Fast and Certifiable Point Cloud Registration, arXiv Preprint, 2020 (Code). —TEASER is robust against over 99% outlier correspondences; TEASER is certifiably correct; TEASER runs in milliseconds.
Heng Yang, Pasquale Antonante, Vasileios Tzoumas and Luca Carlone, Graduated Non-Convexity for Robust Spatial Perception: From Non-Minimal Solvers to Global Outlier Rejection, IEEE Robotics and Automation Letters (RA-L), 2020.—A general-purpose robust estimation framework called graduated non-convexity (GNC) that can be applied to any problem where a globally optimal non-minimal solver (e.g. from SDP and SOS relaxations) for the outlier-free case is available. Empirically robust againts 70-80% outliers across applications. As an alternative to RANSAC, GNC robustifies non-minimal solvers, while RANSAC robustifies minimal solvers.
Heng Yang and Luca Carlone, In Perfect Shape: Certifiably Optimal 3D Shape Reconstruction from 2D Landmarks, arXiv Preprint, 2019. —We present Shape*, the first certifiably optimal non-minimal solver for 3D shape reconstruction from 2D landmarks in a single image, and Shape#, a robust shape reconstruction algorithm that tolerates a large amount of outliers in the 2D measurements.
Heng Yang and Luca Carlone, A Quaternion-based Certifiably Optimal Solution to the Wahba Problem with Outliers, International Conference on Computer Vision (ICCV), 2019. Oral presentation (4% acceptance rate) (Video) —Introducing QUASAR (QUAternion-based Semidefinite relAxation for Robust alignment), a quaternion-based SDP relaxation that is tight and returns the certifiable global optima to the Wahba problem (aka rotation search) in the presence of large noise and 95% outliers.
Heng Yang and Luca Carlone, A Polynomial-time Solution for Robust Registration with Extreme Outlier Rates, Robotics: Science and Systems (RSS), 2019. Spotlight talk + Poster (Video) (Poster)—Introducing TEASER (Truncated least squares Estimation And SEmidefinite Relaxation), a robust point cloud registration algorithm that is robust against 99% outliers.
- Heng Yang, Carolina Amador Carrascal, Hua Xie, Vijay Shamdasani and Brian W Anthony, Design and Experimental Validation of Miniature External Mechanical Vibrators Towards Clinical Ultrasound Shear Wave Elastography. 2018 IEEE International Ultrasonics Symposium (IUS). — Enabling low-cost, miniature and portable ultrasound shear wave elastography imaging with external mechanical vibration.
- Felix Van De Donk, Heng Yang and Brian W Anthony, Miniaturization of external mechanical vibration for shear wave elastography imaging. 2018 40th Annual International Conference of the IEEE Engineering in Medicine and Biology Society (EMBC). — Preliminary concept design of miniature external mechanical vibration device for portable ultrasound shear wave elastography imaging.
- Heng Yang, Man M Nguyen, Sheng-Wen Huang, Vijay Shamdasani, Hua Xie and Brian W Anthony, Simulation, design, and implementation of external mechanical vibration for ultrasound shear wave elastography. 2017 IEEE International Ultrasonics Symposium (IUS). — We propose to induce shear waves using a multi-point-source external mechanical vibration concept. Simulation and experimental prototype show promising results on liver phantoms.
- Julian Chacon-Castano, Daniel R Rathbone, Rachel Hoffman, Heng Yang, Dimitrios Pantazis, Jason Yang, Erik Hornberger and Nevan C Hanumara, Music and the brain-design of an MEG compatible piano. 2017 39th Annual International Conference of the IEEE Engineering in Medicine and Biology Society (EMBC). — A piano design by optical fiber encoder that can be used in MEG room to study human brian activity induced by playing music.
- Yiwei Zhao, Jianing Wu, Heng Yang and Shaoze Yan, The morphology and reciprocation movement of Honeybee's hairy tongue for nectar uptake. Journal of Bionic Engineering. 2016.
- Jianing Wu, Heng Yang and Shaoze Yan, Energy saving strategies of honeybees in dipping nectar. Scientific reports, 2015. — Through observing how honeybees drink, we get engineering insights of designing energy-saving micropumps.
- Zelin Linghu, Chenjia Zhao, Heng Yang and Xinqian Zheng, Beetle wing folding facilitated by micro-protrusions on the body surface: a case of Allomyrina dichotoma. Science bulletin, 2015.
- Heng Yang, Jianing Wu and Shaoze Yan, Effects of erectable glossal hairs on a honeybee's nectar-drinking strategy. Applied Physics Letters, 2014. — A mathematical model with delicate experimental observation that explains a very interesting phenomenon in nature: why all the flowers pollinated by honeybees have nectar concentration 35%?