I am broadly interested in robotics, computer vision, and optimization and learning. In particular, my research focuses on applying rigorous (mathematical and optimization) theory to develop certifiable and provably correct perception algorithms for safety-critical applications and human-level understanding of the real world. Moving forward, I want to get more engaged in learning-based perception and apply my experience in geometric vision, robust estimation and optimization to improve the efficiency, robustness, interpretability, and theoretical guarantees of machine learning and artificial intelligence in general.
- Robotic perception, (geometric) computer vision
- Robust estimation
- Semidefinite programming (SDP) and Sums-of-Squares (SOS) relaxations
- Fast semidefinite programmig (SDP) solver
- Computational algebraic geometry
- Machine learing and artificial intelligence
- 2018-Present, Massachusetts Institute of Technology, Cambridge, MA
- Doctor of Philosophy (PhD), Department of Mechanical Engineering
- Topic: robotic perception, computer vision, optimization
- Advisor: Prof. Luca Carlone
- 2015-2017, Massachusetts Institute of Technology, Cambridge, MA
- Master of Science (S.M.), Department of Mechanical Engineering
- Thesis: Ultrasound shear wave elastography imaging with external mechanical vibration
- Advisor: Dr. Brian Anthony
- 2011-2015, Tsinghua University, Beijing, China
- Bachelor of Science (B.S.), Department of Automotive Engineering
- Thesis: Study of Beijing Passenger Vehicle Travelling Pattern based on Big Data and Applications on Evaluation of New Energy Vehicles
- Thesie Supervisor: Dr. Hewu Wang
Honors and Awards
- 2015: Tsinghua University Undergraduate Principal Scholarship, aka Graduation with Distinction (9/3000+)
- Tesla, Inc. Advanced Technology Integration Intern, June-Sept. 2017
- New vehicle low voltage system integration.
- MIT News: Spotting objects amid clutter. and LIDS News (reprint from MIT News), June 20th, 2019, also spotlighted by MIT front page http://web.mit.edu/, AeroAstro front page https://aeroastro.mit.edu/ and IDSS front page https://idss.mit.edu/.
Talks and Presentations
Hands-on Tutorial on Global Optimization in Matlab, at "Global Optimization for Geometric Understanding with Provable Guarantees", in International Conference on Computer Vision (ICCV) Tutorial, 2019. (Tutorial Download)
Reviewer for International Conferences and Journals
- Conferences: Robotics: Science and Systems (RSS); International Conference on Computer Vision (ICCV); International Conference on Robotics and Automation (ICRA); International Conference on Intelligent Robots and Systems (IROS).
- Journals: IEEE Robotics and Automation Letters (RA-L).